Thursday, February 18, 2010

C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A!!!


Last weekend I went to California for the first time ever! I've never even flown into Cali on a connecting flight or anything. So flying into Sacramento was awesome. I went with my one of my greatest friends, Camille, on the right to visit our other good friend, Laurin, in the middle. A little background info on our friendships. Camille and I were instant friends when we met 5 and half years ago. She was an officer in Phi Lamb (the sorority I joined my jr. year) and she did my introduction. I remember having a great conversation with her that night, and we've been friends ever since. After graduation when she moved to the Dominican Republic I thought she was crazy for not wanting to stay in Austin with all of her friends (and especially me). But she followed the Lord's calling there and boy am I ever thankful. Without her there I probably never would have gone, and my life wouldn't be what it is today. Speaking of the D.R. that's also where the both of us met Laurin. I met her in March 2008 when I went to visit Camille and my beloved country. Laurin and I also became instant friends, and then later became roommates. I'm so thankful for these two women. They are absolutely fabulous!!!

Back to California....

Camille and I landed in Sacramento Friday night and we all went to dinner. We were pretty tired from our very long flight/time zone change and little sleep on Thursday night. Saturday morning we drove to San Francisco, and the picture above is what we took right before we went across that famous bridge. It was kinda surreal to see it in person after seeing it in so many movies, tv shows (cue Full House theme song). It was great. That day was truly awesome. It was BEAUTIFUL weather and we walked down on the pier, around the farmer's market, then had an awesome lunch. San Francisco is the area where the green/organic movement all started so needless to say everything we ate was always super fresh, really good, but also really pricey. That afternoon we also went to the Ghiradelli Square. I had the best ice cream I've ever had in my life. (Wasn't counting calories that day obviously!) We also walked around Chinatown that was right by our hotel. It was interesting because the Chinatown here and the one in NYC are completely different. In NYC it's ALL about the selling of merchandise, in San Fran there are stores with souvenirs, but there are also lots of grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Most people were really chill and NOT in your face trying to get you to buy a fake Chanel purse or sunglasses. I liked it a more than NYC. Sorry :) That night went went to see Valentine's Day! It was an awesome movie. Sunday was Valentine's Day and we celebrated our singleness by enjoying burgers from the famous California, In-n-Out. I have to confess that I wasn't that impressed. Don't get me wrong, it was good. I hadn't had a burger in a REALLY long time and maybe I built it up too much. The fries were good though. Oh well. Camille left that afternoon, and for the second year in a row Laurin and I spent V-day night together. We went to eat some middle eastern food (YUM!) and then watched Food, Inc. Monday was pretty chill and then I left around lunch time. All in all it was an awesome weekend. So thankful for time away from Austin (it's nice to be away sometimes) and be with two of my best friends.



I heart California :)

No comments: