Thursday, March 11, 2010

Waste of time.

.... Facebook.

Today on my way to work I just felt convicted (for once) about the amount of time I spend browsing the popular social networking site. So, I decided that for today I would not log on at all for the next 12 hours. That was exactly 12 hours ago as we speak. Do you know how refreshing it's been to be away from that site? I don't think you have until you have tried it. Today I got much more accomplished at work, felt more focused, and actually when I had a few spare moments I spent them TALKING with coworkers, instead of stalking. Yes, don't act like you don't stalk. I know that I do. When was the last time you talked to most of the people that you stalked on facebook today? If you are like me, it's probably been a while. Here's the point, I'm not saying never to log on to facebook again, that I'm closing my account, etc. What I am saying is that I personally felt convicted over the amount of time my mind spends dedicated to this site. (Does anyone else think in facebook status lingo?) It can even be an idol. First of all, it's completely narcissistic. Think about it. Everyone gets to post what they are doing every second of the day, everyone gets to post their accomplisments, their engagments/marriages, their new job promotions, etc! And while those things are fine what winds up happening is that you (I) covet those things or feel jealous. If you are a girl and you are single and all of a sudden your not-even-close to you friend posts pictures of her perfect engagement to the man of her dreams... don't you often feel a little jealous? Or how about the couple that you envy because they got to buy a new house. Or the family that's having a baby when you and your husband can't get pregnant. Or you're married and you get to read about all the fun that your single friends get to have because they don't have commitments like you. This list can go on, and on and on.

Recently I've made a rule of thumb in my life. I don't like to spend more time on things that are temporal over things that are eternal. For example, sometimes I catch myself wanting to spend longer than one hour at the gym. I reason that if I can just burn X more amount of calories it can make up for the X thing I ate earlier I shouldn't have, or something like that. I made a rule to myself that I would not stay at the gym longer than what I would spend with the Lord. Because if I have 2 hours to spend at the gym, and a rushed 30 minute quiet time, something is just wrong with that.

I'm NOT trying to convict you for how you decide to spend your time. Maybe you can do it all, but I know that I can't, and that's why I needed to write this post. Does this mean I'll never be on facebook again? No, it doesn't. It just means that I'm continuing to evaluate things in my life that don't matter in the long run. Facebook serves as an excellent way to network, and to get information out to all your friends. But it just can't have the stronghold in my life that it has right now.

When I get discouraged, I'm going to come back and read this post.

SPRING BREAK STARTS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

1 comment:

elias and hope said...

i had a day like that a few weeks ago and it did feel good. then last night i didn't get on when i got home from CG and it felt good too.
you just have too many friends so it's overwhelming to you:)